Monday, August 16, 2010

Feta and Potato Patties (Gluten Free)



It's Greek night at my house with this Greek inspired Patatokeftedes (potato balls).
You might be thinking.... potatoes in the middle of summer? Well... yes.


Lately for the last couple of weeks, I have been receiving a bag of varied potatoes from my CSA. The bags were just accumulating in the fridge as I just could not eat it fast enough. Not only that, but I thought that potatoes were just too heavy for a summer time meal so just wasn't compelled to do much with them.


I was inspired by potatoes versatility when I found a recipe for feta and potato patties in an old time favorite cookbook of mine, Vegetarian: Over 300 Healthy and Wholesome Foods by Nancy Graimes. Potatoes can be a summer time meal when combined with lighter ingredients like dill and lemon. 


These patties will transport you to the sandy beach of Mykonos, as the salty wind brisks through your hair. Accompany with a garden tomato salad in a lemon and oil dressing and you have a Mediterranean delight. You might break a plate after you eat this.


Serves 4


Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds potatoes
4 ounces feta cheese
4 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste


  1. Boil the potatoes in their skins in lightly salted water until soft (about 30 minutes). Drain and cool slightly, then peel while still warm. Place the cooked potatoes in a bowl and mash. 
  2. Crumble the feta into the potatoes, and add the scallions, dill, lemon juice and egg. Season the mixture with salt and pepper (the cheese is already salty, so taste before you add salt). Stir well.
  3. Cover the mixture and chill until firm. Divide the mixture into walnut sized balls, then flatten them slightly. 
  4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the patties until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels and serve at once.

6 comments:

  1. I was going to try to post something witty or insightful here, but all I can say is YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Did you make it? If so, please leave a comment on how it came out. It's real simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made it yet, but plan on doing so soon. They may not turn out as lovely because I will have to use something to replace the egg, but I'm sure they will taste fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can try Ener-G Egg Replacer in lieu of eggs. When you do make it a la Vegan, please let me know how it comes out. I would love to know as others who are Vegans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't forgotten about these! I am now expecting and can't have feta. :( If I felt I had enough self control I would make them for just my husband and let you know what he thought......but I don't. :)
    I promise to let you know how they turn out when I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the baby bump. Take your time... I am always here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...