Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet and Sour Veggieballs (Gluten Free)

This past Rosh Hashana I was inspired to make sweet and sour meatballs, probably due to the fact that every where I turned to in the kosher supermarkets was advertised a catered meal with sweet and sour meatballs. I never see them advertised at other times of the year, just at holidays. Somehow Sweet and Sour meatballs has become a staple in Ashkenasi families, "Just like Bubeh made them!" Not my Bubeh, since I am a Sephardi Jew, but certainly like my husbands' whose grandparents were from Lithuania. I suppose it draws some nostalgia to the old country for some... however for me, since my husband and I are vegetarians I decided to contemporize (not sure of that's a real word, but you get my drift) the classic dish with veggie balls.

When I think of meatballs, I think of tomato sauce and bay leaf. Basil. Pasta. Italian. But the liking for a subtle blend of sour and sweet is an Ashkenazic taste that displays itself in other traditional recipes: beet borsht, brisket cooked with dried fruit, honey and vinegar, and of course that perennial Jewish favorite, Chinese food.


So I made them. These veggieballs are made from mushrooms, have no gluten in them and by far is one of the healthiest mock meat out there. All the ingredients are recognizable and pronounceable. You can find them in the refrigerated section on you can request for your supermarket to carry it here.

The meatbals turned out very good indeed, firm but tender, savory/sweet. A nice little mouthfull to keep everyone interested and no one could believe that it was not MEAT. I was so excited that I was able to prepare a dish for my meat eating crowd and show them that a life without meat is absolutely doable and better for us all. With the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday approaching, where cranberries are traditionally eaten, this dish fits right in once again for a festive meal. Look how quick and easy it is to prepare. Serve on a large platter with a side of sweet potatoes or noodles.



Ingredients

3 cups tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can of cranberry sauce
2 onion soup bouillon (vegan)
1 cup sour kraut
2 packages Veggieballs from Franklin Farms

Directions

  1. Combine tomato sauce and cranberry sauce in a large stockpot over medium high heat.
  2. Once simmering add the soup bouillon and break apart with a spoon to blend with the sauce. When bouillon has emulsified into sauce, add sour kraut and bring to simmer.
  3. Add veggie balls, lower heat and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until heated throughout.



4 comments:

  1. Those veggie balls look pretty awesome. I struggle to find decent one in the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine was just in the UK and he said that so many vegetarian restaurants have popped up in the last few years, but the restaurants use vegetables for their meals and not mock meats. Perhaps that's why it's not too popular there. I can post a recipe on how to make your own mockmeat from mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Nate's meatless meatballs?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...