Monday, March 7, 2011

Mango and Coconut Cake (Vegan, Gluten Free)

Right about now I could use some tropical weather as winter just does not seem to end here in the Northeast. Looking for sun light amidst this haze, I was inspired to make a tropical dessert from coconut and mango.


When I think of mango and coconut, I am transported to Thailand- they are famous for their mango and coconut sticky rice. While I do love that dessert, because mangos are one of my favorite fruits, I thought why not put the two tropical ingredients together and make a cake?


Although mangos are not in season yet, Trader Joe's sells mangos in their frozen section which are imported from India. I bought a bag, defrosted it and pureed it which serves as the fruity sweetener in this cake.


This low fat cake with tons of flavor has a spongelike cake consistency that is moist with pieces of mango interspersed adding a sweet surprise to every bite. This cake was inspired from The Witchy Kitchen's Mango and Coconut cake, however I have made it gluten free.




Ingredients



3/4 cup Oat Flour
3/4 cup Coconut Flour
2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/8 Tsp. Salt
2 Ripe Mangos, pureed
3/4 Cup Almond Milk or Soy Milk
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
3/4 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
Flaked Coconut for topping


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a round baking pan.
  2. In a bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly and create a well in the center. Place the almond milk, oil, mango, and vanilla in the well and mix gently till homogeneous. Pour into prepared baking pan and top with coconut. Bake for 27-30 min.

5 comments:

  1. What can I do to use this recipe without the Mango? Do I need to add anything, or can I simply remove the mango without changing the sweetness or consistency of the batter etc? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Removing the mango will definitely change the consistency and sweetness. If you don't like mango, you can use any fruit of your choice, but make sure you finely cube the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can get fresh mango, should I finely cube it or puree it like the above recipe says? and if I can't get mango, can I just add agave or sugar for the taste without messing up the overall consistency of the cake? (I'm new to baking, thanks for the help!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tastier is you puree it. I suggest only using a fresh fruit for this recipe and not sugar for this cake. Otherwise, this is not a fruit cake anymore. You can try pureed apples (applesauce) and see how that comes out if you want to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome, thanks! I'm going to try it next week...originally I was looking for a vegan/gluten free cake that was mainly just coconut flavor, but I will see how this goes instead :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...