Monday, January 3, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Grapes of the Earth.... that's what I call these green leafy balls that grown on a stalk.

I was in Trader Joe's the other day (my favorite store) and they had a special for a GIANT organic brussel sprout stalk for $3.99. I just could not resist the price and the taste. Now you might be thinking.... brussel sprouts, what's the big deal here? They are just miniature cabbage balls and biting into them is like eating compacted leaves with a bit of a bitter after taste. Well.... if that's your experience with brussel sprouts, I am about to introduce to you a simple and quick recipe for these under dogs that will beckon you for more.


I could easily pick these brussel sprouts off the stalk and munch on it instead of a bag of chips. That's how much I love these!


Roasting the brussel sprouts in a basting of olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper turns this hard dense cabbage into a mysteriously caramelized outside and creamy on the inside. Your kids will love to pick at this, right off the stalk making it a fun hand to mouth snack.




Ingredients

  • 1 Brussel Sprouts Stalk
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to Roast at 400 degrees F.
  2. Baste Brussels sprouts generously with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Place on aluminum foil, and center on oven rack.
  3. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, turning the stalk every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. I've just planted some Brussel Sprouts here in Perth. I look forward to giving this recipe a try. Such a misunderstood veggie, I think they're brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...I love to buy frozen baby brussel sprouts, just pop in microwave, add some salt, and butter :D yum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...