Monday, March 29, 2010

Sweet Curried Butternut Squash Rings (Vegan, Gluten Free)





Tonight is the start of Passover, and this year is the first year that I am not making the Seder in my home but am invited to friends. Of course, I am bringing a little something to my friends for dinner tonight as a little side dish. Actually I kind of have bring something, because both my husband and I are vegetarian and I want to make sure that there will be something for us to eat, since we are invited by our hosts that are meat eaters.

Here is a dish that can be eaten all year round and is not exclusive to Passover... Butternut Squash. It is always a satisfying meal, because it's so filling with it's creamy texture and nutty taste. This dish is always a big hit when I make it because it's that perfect combination of sweet and spicy with just the right amount of spice that adds a subtle hint of flavor.

I have to thank my sister in law Janine Solarsh from Johannesburg for sharing this with me enabling me to bring this across continents to share with you all.



ingredients
2 large butternut squash (long thin ones), sliced into rings and unpeeled
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon powder

Serves 6-8

Instructions
    1   Preheat oven to Roast at 425F
    2   Mix ingredients together in a mixing bowl coating butternut well with oil and spices.
    3   Place single layer on baking sheet. Roast until golden and crispy (your nostrils will know) for 40-50 minutes. Turn over half way through roasting to cook evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...